Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Visit

"Barney" she announced. Is that a treat? I wonder. I start to salavate and the uncontrollable tail wagging begins. I bound for the kitchen mat and wait in anticipation.

This was definitely my favourite spot in the whole house. On this very mat I could catch mid-air tiny scraps of meat and vegetables which always impressed the owners. And let's not forget the unrelenting praise and ear scratching received at this very spot. Yes, this place was the congregation area for the entire family; here I would find the answer to the daunting declaration that had made my owner so excitable.

Once more I hear the word "Barney." And then she moves quickly for the front door. Again, I leap to the mat in the hallway where I can look out the tiny window at the bottom of the door.

I loved this mat as well. From here I could see the comings and goings of strangers and friends alike. At this spot, I could provide a very important service for my owners: home security and protection. I would not receive a treat here, however, and so I was beginning to doubt my earlier intuition that Barney was a new brand of doggy treat.

I change my position, nose pressed against the glass to see if I could get a better look at what was happening outside. Just beyond the white bars and down the steep stairs I could see a funny-looking, bearded dog. As the grey-haired dog approached the house, I came to the realization that this was a dog to remember; a childhood buddy perhaps, a bretheren and mentor who had come for a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment